Old September 8th 13, 08:35 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Default What's the trick to make Ethernet work on an HP 2100TN printer?

Misha wrote:
On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 06:09:27 +0000, Misha wrote:

So, I must not be specifying the printer address correctly.
Or, it's the wrong button to check in the printer control panel applet.

Going back to the web browser URL to the printer, after installing
Java on WinXP, and, after agreeing to an ominous warning:
http://i40.tinypic.com/2hdsgue.jpg

I now see that the web browser communicates just fine
with the printer.
http://i43.tinypic.com/2eam1cz.jpg

I think I'm close.

I just don't know how to tell WinXP explicitly what the
printer name is that is attached to the router.

And, Windows XP doesn't know how to find that printer which
is connected to the router by a similar wire that it is.

I do have a Win7 machine handy on the same network (wirelessly
though), so I'll see what the magic name might be from Windows 7
standpoints.

Hi,
Windows have Help and Support built-in. Why not give a keyword like
"how to add network printer on LAN?" and see what happens. You don't
have to give the printer fixed IP, you can let the DHCP server on the
router get one. Think networked printer. On linux, same thing. I have
Canon MP990 WiFi connected to network on a router for various OS and
all is working fine. Can you ping the printer? Can you do ipconfig /all
and ipconfig /renew from XP machine?