Old December 15th 07, 04:25 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
kobe

Default Nvidia 8800GT/GTS

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 19:34:10 GMT, mcp6453 wrote:

While I know quite a bit about computers, I am certainly not up to speed
on video cards. Others have recommended that my son get an 8800GT or GTS

8800 GTS 320 or GTS 640 are older, overpriced, "slow" cards.

The correct new GTS is the 8800 GTS 512 using the G92 GPU.

This is similar to the 8800GT, but with some extra processing power
unlocked, and these cards have higher stock clocks on GPU, Memory,
and Shaders. They perform close to the most expensive older Ultra
cards except in games where the Ultra's extra memory bandwidth
really helps. These GTS 512 cards come with a real cooling
solution, and not a noisy fan that dumps heat into your case and
needs an extra utility to set the fan correctly. They use an extra
slot next to the video card slot because the cooler is wider.
Benefits are cooler GPU temps, the hot air exhausted out the back of
the case, and a quieter fan. Costs more but you do get good value
for that extra cost, esp if you want to run SLI down the road.

PS you might watch your local papers for good deals. A local store
is selling the Asus 8800GT for $249 this weekend. Newegg is
backordered at $299.