Old April 30th 08, 12:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,de.comp.hardware.cpu+mainboard.amd,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
krw[_4_]

Default AMD planning 45nm 12-Core 'Istanbul' Processor ?

In article ,
says...
"krw" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
says...
" writes:
What could be more boring than the x86 domination we have now?
Without AMD, there would be no such monoculture.

Did you mean "without Intel"?

I suppose if AMD hadn't been around, there would have been a greater
chance of Intel getting their butts whipped by some other architecture,
instead of by AMD.

What architecture? You grossly underestimate the x86 inertia.

Of course AMD _did_ come up with "x86-64", which is an improvement over
the x86 (obviously even Intel thinks so).

Intel did too, but had no interest in pushing it forward to product.

They did, but was told by MS to dump it & use AMD64 code
MS did not want to make 2 ver. of Windows.

Later, after AMD64 was a done deal.

--
Keith