Old January 30th 16, 02:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.hdd, comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage, comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage, comp.sys.mac.system, alt.windows7.general
Wolffan

Default Can't have both encrypted Mac's HFS+ & MS W7 EE SP1's BitLocker NTFS?

On 29 Jan 2016, Ant wrote
(in ):

So, I changed to another adapter and now 64-bit W7 EE SP1 cannot see the
partitions (wants me to format it). However, Mac OS X v10.10.5
(Yosemite) had no problems. Argh.

you’re going to have problems with the partitions. Apple uses GPT, Win7
usually uses MBR. GPT systems can see MBR partitions. MBR systems can
(usually) see GPT systems which have one partition. More than one partition,
not so much. You will experience problems with GPT partitions on 32-bit Win 7
systems, and different problems on 64-bit Win 7 systems which have older
BIOSes rather than UEFI. See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table

I suspect that your Win 7 system uses MBR. I really doubt that you’ll get
an MBR Win 7 system to see your partitions.

Frankly, if I were trying to set up an encrypted USB device which could work
on both Mac and Windows, I’d simply use NTFS and get one of the extensions
which allows OS X to read/write NTFS. There are, or used to be, several free
NTFS extensions, and there is at least one pay version, from
Paragon.http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/
Alternatively, I’d get a virtual machine (Parallels, VMWare, Virtual Box)
and put Windows in it on the OS X machine, and read the NTFS drive using
Windows. Finally, I’d try formatting the drive HFS+ and getting a HFS+
read/write extension for Windows. Paragon offers such an extension, too.
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/hfs-windows/

I used to use two of the free NTFS on Mac extensions, was dissatisfied with
the performance, bought the Paragon extension and have used it for several
years now.

I suspect that it will be difficult to impossible to put two partitions, one
HFS+ and one NTFS, on a USB device and have them be actually useable.