Old September 28th 07, 04:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Pecos[_2_]

Default Building a Desktop Number Cruncher

Tom wrote in
:

I want to build a good desk top number cruncher. Primary usage is a C
based program that performs the mathmatical calculations used to map
out a topology of various parameters. I do not need high end graphics.

snip

I will greatly value the input from those with 64-bit experience.

Currently I am stuck in the single core, 32-bit realm and am looking
for the fast lane.

GiGa-Thanks !!

Giga Hellos Tom,

I have used XP x64 and Vista 64 bit and I like them a lot but there are
some issues that you should consider before you go that route.

Not all hardware has drivers for the 64 bit versions but since you are
talking about building from scratch, you can eliminate those problems up-
front with some research. You would still have to worry though about
drivers for printers, modems, scanners, etc that you already own.

Next you need to find out if the applications that you want to run will
work in the 64 bit version.

Forget 16 bit programs - they won't run at all.

32 bit programs for the most part will run, but verify first. Programs
like firewalls, anti-virus and some games are the most problematic.

64 bit programs will run of course, but are still few and far between.

Since you don't need Aero, XP x64 would probably be a better choice for
you. If you have the right drivers, it is very stable and fast. I don't
know this for a fact, but I suspect XP x64 would run most number
crunching apps faster than Vista 64 bit.

You can still order or download a free trial version of XP x64 at:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/6...cts/trial.mspx

Try it and see if it works for you. You have 120 days to test it before
it goes into 60 days of 'limited functionality mode'.

As you say, the 64 bit operating systems break the 4 GB barrier, but if
you only need two GB to do your number crunching, 32 bit will suffice.
The 64 bit versions *are* recommended for people just like you who will
be working with large amounts of data like audio/video editing and large
data file manipulation. You didn't mention just how much data you will
be crunching.

You should also consider a RAID 0 or RAID 0 + RAID 1 setup in addition to
a standalone hard drive if you want speed. Your hard drive will be a
real bottleneck when working with large data files. The RAID 0 volume
space is perfect for fast temporary data manipulation. Again, this
depends on just how big these data files of yours are.

--
Alan "Pecos" Norton