Old September 28th 07, 10:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GT

Default Building a Desktop Number Cruncher

"CBFalconer" wrote in message
Tom wrote:
CBFalconer wrote:
Tom wrote:

I want to build a good desk top number cruncher. Primary usage is a C
based program that performs the mathmatical calculations used to map
out a topology of various parameters. I do not need high end graphics.

Is a motherboard such as the ASUS P5K3 Delux a good choice?

http://computershopper.com/reviews/a...erboard-review

The above motherboard accepts up to 8 gigabytes (4 x 2) of DDR3 memory
at up to 1,600 MHz.

Considering Vista Ultimate 64-bit is able to support up to 128GB of
memory ...

Don't even consider Vista. Linux will give you more performance,
be totally transparent, and you can have complete source if you
wish. It also costs much less. Nor will it call home and expose
all your secrets. Best of all is the EULA.

I have begun researching Linux 64 bit. First article I found dated
back to 2003 ... so there must be a LOT for me to catch up on! I have
never used Linux ... but I keep hearing the phrases of those who do.
Perhaps I should take the plunge. I'd much prefer stability, security,
and performance over aero effects and phone home hassles. The only
hesitation is my total ignorance of Linux. I guess everything would be
new from word processor, spreadsheet, C/C++ IDE, etc. That's a big
bite to take ... but it does look appealing.

Just go to ubuntu.com and order the (free) cdrom.

Will that OS run a windows based application?