Old July 8th 11, 01:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.os.linux.hardware
AD

Default Linux's console text mode make video card's fan spin up and usemore power?

On Jun 23, 10:38*pm, (Ant) wrote:
Hello!

I noticed most of the times my old NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT video card's
fan is quiet in KDE v3.5.10 with Compiz. When I exit out of X (used
startx to start X.org) to text mode console, my fan will spin up louder
and according to my old APC UPS, more power is used:

[snip]

that's because nVidia and amd have quietly joined the anti text mode
consortium
founded by apple and have quietly bought up the controlling stake in
all liquid cooling manufacturers to make a buck on a side

all the more reason to have a dedicated linux box of you need it
and have an htpc fanless card in it

that or help nvidia to make profit from its secret investments