Old June 23rd 11, 10:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.os.linux.hardware
J G Miller

Default Linux's console text mode make video card's fan spin up and usemore power?

On Thursday, June 23rd, 2011 at 14:38:04h -0500, Ant observed:

I noticed most of the times my old NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT video card's
fan is quiet in KDE v3.5.10 with Compiz. When I exit out of X (used
startx to start X.org) to text mode console, my fan will spin up louder
and according to my old APC UPS, more power is used

Perhaps because when you are running the KDE desktop, you are running a
power management program (PowerDevil?) and when you are not running the
KDE desktop you are not running that power management program.

[reams of totally unecessary output deleted]