Old December 26th 08, 04:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
spodosaurus

Default PC power on - start, stop, start, stop, etc - eventually powersup

Ed Medlin wrote:

"spodosaurus" wrote in message
Hi all,

I have a problem that has only recently started (to my knowledge) and
I can't seem to solve it. I've got a P4 3.0GHz PC with an Asis
P4P800S-X board, 512mb RAM, Thermaltake 430W PSU and geforece fx5200
graphics. The problem is that once the system is warm (and sometimes
even from cold) a shutdown then start gets the computer spinning its
fans, powering off, spinning fans, powering off, and repeating this
cycle from 1-10+ times before actually POSTing. Once it POSTs, it's
all fine. Sometimes the brief power ons result in the drives starting
to power up as well, but usually not. I've flashed the motherboard,
replaced the PSU, cleaned and reattached the HSF, and tried it with
only CPU, GPU, RAM, and Video attached to the motherboard without
success in solving this issue. I've come accross other accounts of
similar issues, but they've usually been solved by the steps I've
already taken. Any ideas on where I could go from here?

TIA,

Ari

--

Fans spinning up and system not posting is a classic symtom of a failed
or failing power supply. If you are sure your replacement PSU is good,

Ed

At this point I'm guessing it has to be motherboard. The install and
updating of ubuntu went perfectly. it still runs perfectly - when it
actually gets to POST.

Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor and literally save someone's life:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/