Old February 27th 08, 05:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

Default NetGear GA311 GigaBit PCI Adapter

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 12:27:02 -0500, John McGaw
wrote:

Oh, btw, you will probably never seen anything like true
gigabit transfers despite the name unless your network has proper CAT-6
wiring done perfectly. And probably not even then. I consider myself
lucky when I manage 50mB/s (500mb/s, or half-gigabit) transfers over my
CAT-5e wiring.

Unless the run was exceptionally long or through very noisey
areas then CAT5e can carry the bandwidth. Limitations are
more often the network chip on the NIC(s), operating system
overhead, bus (PCI 32bit/33MHz particularly) bottlenecks, or
the source and/or destination media.