Old April 10th 07, 04:44 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
jmDesktop

Default Hard Drive Repair Question Physical Problem with the drive

On Apr 10, 2:48 am, Arno Wagner wrote:
Previously jmDesktop wrote:
Maxtor 40 GB ide hard drive ata 133 3.5 N 40P. Spins, but I get no
OS. I took it out put it in another PC, will not show up as a second
drive (I changed it to be the slave.) I also have a usb to ide
adapter. The drive is recognized by xp pro and I can see it in the
device manager, but I cannot see it in disk manager or windows
explorer. I am sure it is probably hardware failure, but hoped
someone might have some idea how to fix it.
Drive spins and continues to spin. When I first put power to it I
hear a momentary click or some physical movement inside the drive, but
not after that.
Thanks for any help. I know it may be a lost cause.

This sounds like a problem with the data on disk. What happened to
make it inaccessible?

One thing you can do, is to get its SMART status. You might also
just try to repartition, if you do not care about the data on disk.

Arno

I do care about the data. It's not the drive. I don't care about
that. I can buy another one. I don't know what happened to it. A
week before I was getting a blank screen while some programs ran and
other times I would try and wake up the PC and just have my blank
screen. The machine was running, but nothing would happen. Finally,
I got the no OS on the system or insert boot media, etc.

How do I get the SMART status? I can see information about the drive
in the device manager and can populate information about it.

Thanks again.