Old April 10th 07, 02:51 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
jmDesktop

Default Hard Drive Repair Question Physical Problem with the drive

Maxtor 40 GB ide hard drive ata 133 3.5 N 40P. Spins, but I get no
OS. I took it out put it in another PC, will not show up as a second
drive (I changed it to be the slave.) I also have a usb to ide
adapter. The drive is recognized by xp pro and I can see it in the
device manager, but I cannot see it in disk manager or windows
explorer. I am sure it is probably hardware failure, but hoped
someone might have some idea how to fix it.

Drive spins and continues to spin. When I first put power to it I
hear a momentary click or some physical movement inside the drive, but
not after that.

Thanks for any help. I know it may be a lost cause.