Old November 20th 06, 12:01 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Elector

Default : Reset CMOS and other stuff

"Robert E. Watts" wrote in message
Hi Ben !

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
The latest wrinkle in BIOS updates, fraught with possibilities of
error and
failure is to provide the update in the form of a Windows
executable, to be run
under Windows. With all the great reliability shown by Windows
over the years,
and its propensity for unprovoked BSODs, I think that a BIOS update
via Windows
is goddam stupid.

I couldn't agree more. I almost refuse to update a BIOS this way.
However, the few times that I have ( using WinXP PRO ) it went off
without a hitch. Those particular computers were not "mission
sensitive", and I mostly wanted to see what would happen. :-) (
none were PB's )

Call me old fashioned, but I prefer the floppy update method. And
frankly, I don't update unless I KNOW that it is necessary.

bob

--
boBWatts®©
EartH

Yet another wrinkle for systems that do not have a bootable floppy
drive is to
burn the BIOS update along with a bootable operating system
skeleton (DOS 6.0,
FreeDOS, etc) onto a bootable CD, and do the update via CD. I've
pulled off
this one successfully a few times... Ben Myers

Of course the way many bios updates are done are via the system
manufacturers website. Similar to my IBM laptop. Its quick and
painless and the margin for error is almost zero. However the BIOS
updates via the floppy disks has been for years the best way, however
that is totally dependent on the "correct" bios being downloaded. In a
situation as what Ben translated the assistance may be the answer of
remove the cmos battery and then replace for now. Again if the machine
the original poster has in not the battery type of the little round
silver one, it may be hard wired on the motherboard and it would be a
real pain to do. I have read that the jumper pin assignment on many of
the older models was and is the way to go.

However I am not familiar with this OP unit. Sorry.

Elector