Old November 19th 06, 10:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Robert E. Watts

Default : Reset CMOS and other stuff

Hi Ben !

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
The latest wrinkle in BIOS updates, fraught with possibilities of error
and
failure is to provide the update in the form of a Windows executable, to
be run
under Windows. With all the great reliability shown by Windows over the
years,
and its propensity for unprovoked BSODs, I think that a BIOS update via
Windows
is goddam stupid.

I couldn't agree more. I almost refuse to update a BIOS this way. However,
the few times that I have ( using WinXP PRO ) it went off without a hitch.
Those particular computers were not "mission sensitive", and I mostly wanted
to see what would happen. :-) ( none were PB's )

Call me old fashioned, but I prefer the floppy update method. And frankly, I
don't update unless I KNOW that it is necessary.

bob

--
boBWatts®©
EartH

Yet another wrinkle for systems that do not have a bootable floppy drive
is to
burn the BIOS update along with a bootable operating system skeleton (DOS
6.0,
FreeDOS, etc) onto a bootable CD, and do the update via CD. I've pulled
off
this one successfully a few times... Ben Myers