Old November 19th 06, 09:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers

Default : Reset CMOS and other stuff

The latest wrinkle in BIOS updates, fraught with possibilities of error and
failure is to provide the update in the form of a Windows executable, to be run
under Windows. With all the great reliability shown by Windows over the years,
and its propensity for unprovoked BSODs, I think that a BIOS update via Windows
is goddam stupid.

Yet another wrinkle for systems that do not have a bootable floppy drive is to
burn the BIOS update along with a bootable operating system skeleton (DOS 6.0,
FreeDOS, etc) onto a bootable CD, and do the update via CD. I've pulled off
this one successfully a few times... Ben Myers

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 15:59:16 -0500, "Robert E. Watts"
wrote:

Hi Ben!

Thanks for translating, comments inserted below. Wondering why you didn't
offer any help. :-)

( Sure would like to see more action on this NG. My Packard Bell collection
has grown to 15 machines now, and some spare parts. Still missing the :

PB Pentium 60/66MHz tower
Late 486 tower
Packard Bell Corner Computer )

hint hint

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
.. .
Roughly translated by Ben Myers:

Hello to all.

I must have made a mess. Probably I erred to update the BIOS of my
Packard
Bell EasyNote f7310 (following the instructions to create a CD on the
Packard
Bell web site), and now the screen is completely black.

Someone told me to try resetting the CMOS, but it is a portable. This
does not
seem like the right solution, and overall I don't know how to do it. Can
you
help me? Thank you.

Well, if you can read this ( in English )

I am not a laptop technician, however..........

You can't reset the CMOS with a black screen. I'm assuming that it does this
at ALL times. If this is the case, you might be in trouble.

If you can find the battery (CMOS settings battery ) in the thing, you might
try removing it, and see what happens. In a desktop, it looks like a silver
button battery, and by removing it for a while ( minutes to hours
sometimes ), this will cause the CMOS settings to be lost, and the thing
will revert back to default settings. Unless the BIOS is totally screwed up.

Sometimes there is a jumper that needs to be changed also, or a jumper that
can reset CMOS settings.

But, if the screen is blank at all times, I am at a loss. You have to be
able to see something to make changes.

Usually a BIOS update fits on a floppy. Try to download the floppy version,
and boot the machine from that. ( if it allows you to see anything.) (
from a different computer of course. :-)

Could be coincidental. The screen may have broken.

Does it even make any noise, fans, etc? Any indicater lights ?