Old July 18th 20, 03:30 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
nospam

Default Linux founder tells Intel to stop inventing 'magic instructions' and 'start fixing real problems'

In article , Brian Gregory
wrote:

I remember - I _think_ it was in the last decade, but it might have been
more - being startled when I spoke to a young computing graduate, to
find he'd never done any assembler. At that time, after my initial
double-take, I thought to myself: the field is big enough, that there'll
be plenty of room for him, and in practice he'll probably never have any
trouble finding interesting and well-paid employment.

there is no need for assembler anymore, except in very rare
circumstances.

On PCs maybe.

on just about everything.

it's *really* difficult for a human to write assembler that's better
than what a modern compiler can produce, plus doing so would take a
*lot* longer.

I bet some embedded stuff for ultra cheap mass market stuff is still
done in assember, or something only very slightly higher level.

you'd lose that bet.