Old July 17th 20, 10:06 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
T[_6_]

Default Linux founder tells Intel to stop inventing 'magic instructions' and 'start fixing real problems'

On 2020-07-17 00:54, VanguardLH wrote:
T wrote:
No initiative, no talent for testing, and poor writing skills.

I have the poor writing skills myself. I am a product of America's
Publik Skool system. Fortunately I have lots of talent and initiative.
My wife taught me to write in college.
Publik Skool taught "look see" instead of "phonics". I swear
at times I have to look at my drivers license in order to
spell my name correctly.

And college was no better. The English department taught "Creative
Writing". And they frequently made fun of the
sports department. Pardon me, but the odds of me
being a successful novel writer are worse than me trying
out and being accepted by the Green Bay Packers!

Fortunately, the business department threw a required
by engineers course in business writing. ON MY GOD!
I nearly lost 15 pounds in the course. It was the
hardest course I took. And years and years later,
the most useful course I took. My final exam was a
50 page proposal for my senior project that both
the teacher and my engineering counselor graded
and divided in half. About killed me.

I remember someone remarking that college isn't about training their
students for a particular job. It's to train them on how to learn.

In America it is looked at differently. In engineering,
you only learn about 15% of what you need to know
from college. The rest you learn on the job. What
the engineering degree tells your employer is
that your are will and capable of starting a long term
project that involves considerable personal hardship
and stick it through to the end. They can count
on you to tackle a project and finish it. You
are not a snow flake.

I was lucky that I went to a "teaching" university,
rather than a "research" university. My university
had a lab for every engineering course, except
for the ones with two labs. We were highly sought
after by industry because we knew which end of the
soldering iron was hot and hit the ground running.
I was told several times by scouts that our
teaching university cut two years off of the training
time required to get a research grad up to speed.

The computer grad I spoke of was from a research
university (UCLA).

One of my customers had her niece with a recent
degree in architecture come work for her.
She could not read a blue print. On questioning,
she said what she learned about was a bunch of
pretty buildings. Her's was a research university
too.

Do you know if your interns came from a teaching or
a research university?