Old July 13th 18, 12:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
~misfit~[_16_]

Default SOCHOX 8GB DDR2 PC2-6400 800Mhz DIMM AMD

Once upon a time on usenet Norm X wrote:
"~misfit~" wrote in message
news
Once upon a time on usenet Norm X wrote:
"Paul" wrote
[massive snippage]
Paul

The Intel Q9650 arrived and its performance is well worth the price.
I tried the SOCHOX 8GB DDR2 PC2-6400 800Mhz DIMM AMD RAM and it
still won't boot. The MOBO can't handle it, I guess.

Great CPU. I've been running a Q[X]9650 for the best part of a
decade now and it's still doing everything that I ask of it and
rarely runs above 50% CPU usage, even when gaming.
--
Shaun.

Thanks.

In an effort to exploit 4GB PC2-5300 compliant RAM, I purchased a 200
pin laptop memory module for $31 and a JET-54021 200-240 pin adapter.
The RAM was tested by the vendor. I used memtest-86, Windows Memtest
and the memtest app to test it. It passed all tests even after dozens
of iterations. However, the PC had a tendency to crash. I had placed
the adapter and RAM in the slot closest to the CPU. When I moved it
to the slot further from the CPU, it crashed immediately. I conclude
that the longer signal path made it more unstable.

This observation may the interest to users contemplating the same
idea.
4GB 240-pin PC2-5300 compliant RAM is available but it cost USD$200.
I plan to wait for prices to drop. Why? I want 8GB memory without the
trouble of upgrading my MOBO.

Thanks for the info. Luckilly I bought a mobo (10 years ago now!) that could
take 8GB of RAM. Unfortunately I've been using 8GB for about 7 years now and
wish I could have more. It's really the only thing holding back my 10 year
old machine in any appreciable way. Sure it'd be nice to have a faster SATA
bus or PCI specification but the only thing that's really bothering me right
now is the RAM limit.

Oh and Firefox. When I'm gaming my PC uses about 50% of it's RAM for OS and
game (Path of Exile) and plays very well. If I leave Firefox open while
gaming that jumps tp 90% of RAM and the thing starts paging. Even with an
SSD fitted that makes gameplay stuttery.
--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)