Old October 3rd 04, 04:23 PM
pc macdonald

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message ...
In order for Ghost to be able to use the USB drive, the PC has to be able to
see it when using DOS. Even when operating from within Windows Ghost works

SNIP
While any software will have its detractors, and I can see that those not
weaned on DOS may have a few initial headaches

SNIP

Graham Mayor

Thanks for your reply. I've done all those things. I've been using
Ghost for over a decade.

This is still the condition: Ghost 2003. Make split images directly
to HDD with 8.3 format DOS names from the Ghost program, setup via the
Windoze interface, performed from a self-boot into DOS. Ghost
explorer reads the image fine from the HDD. The tool that checks the
image integrity via dos reads them fine from the HDD. The PCDOS DOS
recovery program recognizes the image when it is on the HDD.

When burned to a CDROM via NERO as an ISO Level 1 ASCII Char Set file,
the PCDOS based recovery program does not recognize the image as
having been generated by Ghost, although it does find it correctly.

The PCDOS recovery program _WILL_ read the image if I make the whole
backup to CDROM via DOS, but that's painful, time consuming, and not
always successful.

mac