Old September 20th 04, 09:26 AM
Graham Mayor

You need to ensure that the appropriate USB drivers are installed by Ghost -
see http://www.gmayor.com/Norton_Ghost.htm.

--

Graham Mayor

pc macdonald wrote:
Ghost 2003 is giving me fits.

Plan I:

I thought I'd make this easy, so I bought a WD outboard HDD with USB2
to do comlete HDD uncompressed image backups to. After about 12 hours
of fooling around with every hardware and Ghost permutation imaginable
(trust me on this), I took the HDD back to the vendor and began Plan
II.

Plan II:

First I did a backup of my XP C:\ drive (with the applications also on
this drive) from XP to CDROM using the Ghost XP user interface. It
took a very, very long time to write a dozen discs at standard
compression, over 3 or 4 hours (more?) for a HDD that had about 15 GB
on it.

I went to test the integrity of the image with the XP user interface
tool, it failed on the second disc. *(&^(*%

Sooooo.... I wrote the images to an NTFS drive with the options
"-split=675 -z9" to make spanned images with high compression that
would fit on a standard CDROM.

This was kind of nice because the backup only took about 32 minutes,
and the integrity check took 5 or ten. Ghost was happy, happy, happy
with all the files. I burned this second backup set to CDROM. I used
to use this approach years ago with my NT4 systems. It worked great.

I made the "standard ghost boot disc" but it wouldn't recognize my
cdrom image files. I had to use MS-DOS because the PCDOS versions
couldn't find the command.com file. WHo knows why. I'm an
experienced computer nerd, and I just can't believe they still make it
this difficult.

So, I then made the bootable floppy set (2 discs) for CD/DVDs that
"were not created with Ghost."

When booted from these, Ghost sees the files ok, but complains that
they are not ghost images. I assume that the last file written,
xxx.gho, is the first file it expectes. (I tried the first one
written to the HDD, xxx.001, just for grins, but it didn't like it
either.)

What the what? I've used this program lots over the years, and it
still makes me bat****.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

pc