Old August 28th 04, 03:16 AM

Default Building Computer, need advice, please.

Hi folks,

I'm about to start putting together my fourth build, and I'm at the point
where I can use mucho advice. The new mchine will be primarily for CPU-
intensive stuff, such as high quality audio compression and editing or
high definition fractals, and also general "house-office" stuff. I'm not
much into games or fast 3-D video, and am not planning to overclock, or
not extensively.

My present two year old machine, which is getting ncreasingly ragged
around the edges, has a Soyo KT400 Dragon and Athlon 1400. I am looking
for a decent real world speed improvement, but without the hassles of
building to the cutting edge. My highest priority is a stable and trouble
free machine made up of tried and tested components. Speed is my next
highest priority. Third priority is a quiet system. My budget can stand
some moderate upgrading of the components below, if it will mean a better
machine.

Here is my first and very tentative approximation of how to go about it.

Thank you all very much for any input and recommendations about better
alternatives, and for pointing out any bottleneck or overkill.

MOTHERBOARD:
ABIT NF7-S
or ASUS A7N8X-E DELUXE Rev.2.0 ?
(or possibly GIGABYTE GA-7N400 Pro2 ?)
CPU:
Barton XP2800
(or XP2500 OC to FSB 400 ?)
MEMORY: 2x512MB DDR400 operating as dual channel,
HD: Hitachi 250GB 7200RPM
DVD WRITER: Dual Layer, 12X or 16X
FLOPPY/MEMORY CARD READER: MITSUMI FA404A
VIDEO CARD: Chaintech FX20 (GeForce 5200, 128MB)
CASE: EVERCASE E4252

CPU SINK/FAN:
Speeze WHISPER ROCK II, #5F263B1M3G (2700rpm, 38CFM, 26.5dB)
or Speeze "FALCONROCK" #5F286B (2300rpm, 28cfm, 25db)
CASE FANS:
Back: 12cm, NMB 4710NL-04W-B29 (72cfm, 30dB, will use at 7V)
Front: 8cm: Speeze FDC08025S1M, (37.8cfm, 25.0 DB)

--- already have: ---
POWER SUPPLY: Pc Power and Cooling, 410W
HD #2: Hitachi 120GB
SOUND CARD: Revolution 7.1
WinXP SP1 Pro