Old September 19th 03, 03:16 AM
Falkon

"John" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

If I want an Intel based notebook I think these are my options:

1. Celeron
2. Pentium 4
3. Mobile Pentium 4
4. Pentium M

It seems like a Mobile Pentium 4 or Pentium M is substantially more
expensive than a Celeron or Pentium 4. I assume this is because of the
lower heat and increased battery life of the Mobile Pentium 4 and
Pentium M?

I'm thinking about picking up an Inspiron 1100 for the wife. She
leaves it plugged in almost all the time so battery life is not really
an issue. When she does take it in the car, I have an inverter that
will power it.

So what's the difference between a Celeron and a Pentium 4 in a
laptop? The Pentium 4 seems to be roughly $100 more.

It seems like there are a lot of Inspiron 1100's on Ebay. Brand new.
Is there something wrong with them?

She has an Inspiron 3800 which has NEVER held a charge for more than
an hour (even when it was brand new). Am I stupid for given Dell
another chance to give me a bad product?

Thanks!
John

It's not just battery life that is an issue - it's heat and noise. Consider
that normal PCs are often annoyingly noisy when stuck under the desk imagine
how loud it can get sitting on top of the desk. Many users complain that
notebooks with desktop processors sound like jet engines and many have been
known to shut down automatically because they get so hot.
My advice - stay far away from notebooks with desktop processors. There are
sound reasons why CPU manufacturers design chips especially for notebooks.
If you're looking to save money then consider a notebook with a Mobile AMD
AthlonXP processor. Similar to P4-M performance at a Celeron price.
Try the HP-Compaq nx9005 starting from US$924. My flatmate's got one and it
ran office for 3.5 hrs on the battery, is silent, doesn't get hot on your
lap and runs 2D apps and DVD movies with ease.
--
Falkon