Old December 9th 03, 02:01 AM
Ancra

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 08:18:01 GMT, "Taishi"
wrote:

I did some research on the internet about the CPU's in question. I see that
the Celeron is a cheaper CPU than the P4.

Well, why anyone at all, for any purpose at all, buys
(P4-core)Celerons is only due to ignorance, and the _VERY_ false
assumption that GHz is speed.

Do anyone know the story behind the Celeron?

Celeron is the trademark for Intels cheaper cpus. The old
(PII-PIII-core) Celeron was nice enough, but the P4 architecture is so
abyssmally inefficient that newer Celerons are disasters.

Has anyone seen a big difference between a Celeron 2.4 vs a Intel P4 PC?

Yes. Though all older P4s are slower than 'P4Cs' and AthlonXPs, in
particular P4A and Celerons are very slow indeed. I would say the
difference is gruesome. Have a look at these pages, to see much
cheaper Duron and AthlonXPs outclass Celerons and P4A.

price comparision:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1927&p=2

business winstone2004:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1927&p=4

content creation winstone2004:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1927&p=5

div x encoding:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1927&p=6

3D-rendering:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1927&p=7

VisualC++ compile times:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1927&p=8

various game benchmarks:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1927&p=9
http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1927&p=10
http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1927&p=11
http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1927&p=12
http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1927&p=13
http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1927&p=14
http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1927&p=15
http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1927&p=16
http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1927&p=17

Notice how AMDs 1.6GHz Duron stomps all over Intels 2.6GHz Celeron.
1GHz slower clock, but 30% faster!

Are there any Con's to having a Celeron over a P4?

Yes, as you might see from the participating 1.8GHz P4.
It's damn slow too, but at least it's significantly faster than the
Celerons.

Is there a big difference between a Celeron 2.4 vs 2.5?

- ? No they're the same, they're slow. If that P4-Celeron was 6.5 GHz
it would still be slow.

ancra