Old April 1st 12, 04:15 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ant[_3_]

Default Rare hard lock ups with videos with acceleration with an oldATIRadeon 4870 HD video card in a Windows XP Pro. SP3 machine?

I have 6 GB of RAM. I already scanned with the latest versions of and
updated MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware, SuperAntiSpyware, The Cleaner,
SpyBot S&D, and Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool (mrt.exe's full
scan). I highly doubt it is those. Why would I have no hard lock up
problems with the video acceleration completely disabled?

FYI, uninstalling and clearing out left overs to downgrade back to v9.7
driver did not fix the problem. Currently with the latest v12.3 driver,
I am underclocking my GPU clock settings to 500 MHz and memory clock
settings to 500 Mhz through enabled AMD Overdrive to see if that fix it
since we know having video acceleration is making my PC lock up hard.
They are the lowest I can go.

Now, I noticed loading, unloading, and playing embedded Flash videos
show flickers with these low values. I don't mind them if it fixes my
lock ups! So far so good after five hours, but it it still too early...

On 3/29/2012 6:55 PM PT, yukonron typed:

It could be a resource problem. How much ram do you have? you might have
a rootkit trojan thats messing up your resources. Try downloading and
runnig TDSSKILLER Anti-rootkit utility
http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208283363 it's free from
Kaspersky. You could also check your processes in you task manager and
disable unnecessary processes to free up some ram. You can disable them
in your control panel or by running msconfig. I've been using windows 7
64bit for quite awhile now but I seem to remember that xp 32bit can't
use more than 3 gig's of ram. http://www.dansdata.com/askdan00015.htm So
you might have to disable some unnecessary programs or find out what's
causing a conflict by disabling programs by trial and error. Certain
antivirus programs are ram hungry norton and avg use alot of ram. If all
else fails I would upgrade to windows 7 if your system can handle it.
You won't lose your files and programs as long as you don't do a clean
install. I've heard alot of windows 7bashing on this forum by people who
don't know it but Ive been using it for over a year now and it's way
better than xp

--
"Ants can lift up to 50 times their own weight. And your monitor is
missing. Time to bring out the bugspray." --BBspot's Geek Horoscopes