Old November 30th 11, 04:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
rms[_4_]

Default Using the AMD Overdrive utility

240mhz fsb
x17 multiplier = 4080mhz
x11 northbridge mult
x10 HT mult
memory x6.66 mult at 8-8-8-24 1T (corsair 1600mhz dominators)
cpu core volts 1.475v, associated chipset voltages raised also.

So you've overclocked your FSB too? Why would you do that, rather than
with multiplier alone? I assume that the 1090T is a Black Edition, I've
never heard of another kind of 1090T. Doesn't pushing the FSB affect the
stability of other components beside the CPU?

FSB doesn't make as much difference as it once did, but there is a
slight (very slight) benchmark increase the higher you go.

The 11x northbridge multiplier, is that the internal CPU northbridge?

I don't pretend to know cpu architecture, but the 'northbridge' is a
separate chip from the cpu, presumably this is path between them.

This is a quite high core voltage, and you must stay well below this in
a stock heatsink system. Mine is a highend Noctua NH-D14 with 2
higherspeed fans on it, but still air-cooled.

The AMD site lists a voltage range of 1.125-1.40V for the 1090T
(http://is.gd/FiNKO6). How high can you push the voltage? How high can
you push the speed using just the design-spec voltage? Do you absolutely
need to go above spec to get to 4GHz?

Unless you increase cooling with aftermarket parts, it's doubtful you'll
have to worry about exceeding the max voltage spec, you'll be hitting high
temps before that happens.

I've found that the Turbo Core mode stops working once I've gone over
3.6GHz. Not a huge deal, since Turbo Core is only 3.7GHz. But I've also
tried overclocking the Turbo Core to 3.8GHz, but it simply doesn't allow
Turbo beyond 3.6. This might be an internally set threshold in the CPU
that is beyond our control.

I disable any 'autooverclocking' option in the bios, as well as CnQ,
before ocing, making all the settings manually. You might be better off in
the end just letting it do the ocing for you though, in terms of heat and
power usage.

I've noticed you're pushing your RAM heavily too, is Prime95 a good
stability test for RAM too, or just CPU? The AOD's stability test is
pretty good for CPU stability testing, pushes all cores heavily, but I'm
not sure if it is a test of RAM stability though.

Actually my ram is running right at 1600mhz (240fsb x 6.66), the rated
spec, though I did tighten timings from 999-24 to 888-24 1T. Prime95 is a
very good ram tester imho.

BTW, you should verify that Windows sees all 6 cores by entering Task
Manager, Performance tab, and check that it shows 6 cpu graphs. If it
does not, there's a simple procedure to fix that.

I've got an utility called Core Temp that shows the state of all cores
continously through a Windows 7 desktop gadget.

There's a well-known Win7 bug where it doesn't recognize extra cores
after the cpu is changed, which happened to me when I went from x4 to x6.
Do check Task Manager to verify it shows 6 core graphs.

Yousuf Khan

rms