Old May 24th 07, 06:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

Default Computer Eating Keyboards

Z wrote:
"kony" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 May 2007 12:18:51 -0400, "Z" wrote:

The business is a muffler/auto repair shop and these computers get Real
Nasty with a black dust. I try to keep them clean and isolated, but parts
fail on them pretty regularly.

This is most likely the problem. You need keyboard covers
at the very least or if that is insufficient, industrial
sealed keyboards. You might also recommend to the shop that
they may be in violation of health standards and should
consider an air cleaner if it isn't solely being deposited
by dirty hands (but if it is, employees washing their hands
would help too).

Since most factors are not directly under your control, I
suggest buying a bulk pack of keyboards with a config you
can find a keyboard cover for, so the keyboards last a bit
longer then if it acts up the cover is washed and the next
keyboard is installed.

The system might be in sad shape from this as well, given
enough metallic dust it could theoretically short out the
USB port but since the keyboards appear to work otherwise
(when first plugged in, new), it tends to suggest only
keyboard failure at this point.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll try Mike's suggestion of a USB keyboard
as this would be cheaper than a motherboard.

I don't expect that to matter, unless the particular
keyboard just happened to be sealed better or designed
different. Note that waterproof types might help but
spillproof/leak-resistant may not, as the latter can mean
they only molded some channeling and put drain holes in
which is not sufficient but for some kinds of small water
spills.

Well, the problem seems to definitely be more widespread. I installed a USB
keyboard and it worked great on first boot. The both it and the mouse(PS/2)
stopped working. THEN, their parallel dongle(For their Alldata parts
software) stopped working. At that point I moved their shop database to
their other computer and shut the bad one down. I'm ordering a replacement
motherboard in the morning and will give the rest a thorough cleaning.

I had your post in mind when I went back to the shop this morning. I
watched several of their mechanics come in, grab an Alldata DVD(The package
contains a dozen or so DVD's each covering a range of auto makers/vehicle
types/years) and pop it into the computer. I actually saw the dust pop off
their hands onto the DVD's as they placed them in the computer, must be
static.

If anyone has any suggestions on affordable 'industrial' PC cases/hardware
I'd like to hear them. I'm usually pretty good at finding thing on Google,
but all I've come across is hyper-expensive/rack mount blocks that really
don't fit their needs.

I did find one possible solution that I am pursuing. They gave me an 8"x6"
auto air filter. I bought a 4" 115v fan from Radio Shack and bought wood,
flexible gutter elbow and attachments at Home Depot(~$34 in parts). I'm
going to build a fan/filter system that pumps through the filter and into
the back of the PC. Supposedly this will filter all incoming air and create
a 'positive air pressure' in the case so that all other holes in the case
push air and dust away from the computer.

I'll update next week and a few months out on the filter system. I think
they also need to keep some handiwipes right next to the main shop computer.
I've cleaned enough bottoms with those, hopefully they work as well on shop
dust

Thanks to all for the info/tips.

Chris

Get out the multimeter, and check the +5V and +5VSB coming from the PSU.
I can understand a bad PS/2 port and/or a bad keyboard causing indigestion
for one another. But why would two different interface types have failures ?
To me, the common element, is a supply rail out of spec.

For the DVDs, there are several solutions. Buy them a dozen DVD drives
and leave the DVDs loaded. Use software to mount ISO copies of the
DVD. Or, if the Alldata software allows it, copy the DVDs to the
hard drive.

A filtered air supply is a great idea, but who is going to clean the filter ?

Zalman makes a couple of enclosures that can do away with fans. It helps
if the computer parts inside it, are not high power "gamer" parts. This review
is for a box that can hold a microATX 9.6"x9.6" motherboard. Their concept
is to use heatpipes, to move heat from hot components inside, to the sides
of the computer case.

TNN300 case - about $600 or so:

Paul