Old August 16th 06, 10:58 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Eric

Default HP Laserjet 1020 - standard USB cable?

Anyway, the HP Laserjet 1020 specs state the interface is USB. Thats
fine,
but is the connector on the printer standard USB or it some proprietary BS
that will need a proprietary cable? The fact that the product description
doesn't say, nor does the printer come with a cable, is leaving me to
cynically believe that it is probably some proprietary BS port on the
printer side. If I have to buy some BS $30 cable, then I'm looking
elsewhere for something that uses a standard connector -- even RS-232.

(Answering my own question.)

I found more detailed information (not from HP) on the Laserjet 1020, plus
some close-up pictures.

The connection port is standard USB. I could care less that it doesn't come
with a cable, as I have at least a dozen USB cables laying around, but
wasn't in the mood to play proprietary games.

Compared this one with other similiar (Samsung, Brother) cheap monocolor
lasers and concluded, overall, the HP Laserjet 1020 comes out on top.

Still has it has cons though. Its a "Win"-printer, in that all the
processing is done on the attached computer's CPU with Windoze drivers.
Won't work as a standalone network printer with a USB/Ethernet wireless box.
Getting it talking directly with Linux can be done (partially), but is a
PITA. I'm not concerned with either as its going to be hanging off a
Windoze computer, allowing everything else to get to it by hostname.