Old November 29th 06, 06:08 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Dan Sgambelluri

Default Desktop Compaq Presario

Derek Lawler wrote:
A few weeks ago I gave some friends a 4 yr old Presario and hooked it up for
them with a Sony monitor. They had gotten on line and were using it
successfully for a couple of weeks when their power went out. When the
power came back on the computer showed a black screen. Nothing was coming
up.
What I would like to know is: if a computer CPU is damaged by an electric
surge, what components are usually damaged and unrepairable? Thanks for
your response.
Derek

First, did you turn the computer back on. If the computer loads Windows
fine (You hear the Windows Chime) but no picture, try a different monitor.)

Second, is the computer plugged in a Surge Protector or the wall outlet?

There is no way to tell what components are damaged in the newsgroup.
Even a bad outage could head no problems and a small outage could cause
damage.