Old August 30th 03, 05:16 PM
Jason

Default XP3200+ / A7N8X Deluxe Problems

Hi all!

Just built ny new computer for university, and im having a few problems.
Specs are as follows:

AMD Athlon XP 3200+ with SLK800 HS and 35cfm fan @2.19GHz
Asus A7N8X Deluxe PCB2.0 with build 1006 bios
Corsair XMS PC3200 2x512MB TwinX (not LLPT)
HIS Excalibur Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb
Audigy 2 Platinum ex
Adaptec AHA2940U2W SCSI host adapter
IBM Ultrastar 36Z15 15Kr 18.6GB
Quantum Atlas 10K III 73GB
Plextor Plexwiter Premium

I set everything up, and installed a fresh copy of XP Professional, and then
downloaded and installed all the latest drivers for my hardware. There were
no major teething problems initially, but as i begun to install software and
try to use the computer I noticed some very strange things happening:
1) CRC errors on disk reads. Both the hard drives and the SCSI controller
have been used in my old system as the OS and extra hard drives with no
problems at all. The errors happen randomly, along with file corruption
notices. However, if you retry the operation then sometimes it works. Wierd.
2) Very slow installs. When I try to install some games, such as SOF2, the
install process is incredibly slow. HDD activity is low, the CD light is on
continuously, and the install goes at a snails pace. The load on the cpu is
about 2%, and the ram / pagefile are 850mb free and 12mb used. It's as if
the CD is running at 1x just to spite me - the noise from it is certainly
not very much.
3) Slowdowns like you used to get in win98 when the system runs out of ram
and gets locked in pagefile reads/writes. It happens ocasionally and
completely randomly.
I get plenty of general glitches too, like services not starting, errors in
programs etc... wierd stuff.

Any ideas?

Jason