Old July 30th 07, 11:32 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bob Headrick

Default Problems installing HP Deskjet 720C

"Graham" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 30, 6:34 am, "Bob Headrick" wrote:

The Deskjet 722 does not have a serial connection, it only has a parallel
(Centronics style) port. Make sure the Centronics or IEEE-1284 cable is
plugged into a proper parallel port.

[snip]

Can someone please advise how I can check that my serial port has an
IRQ assigned to it as mentioned by Michael above, and what exatly I am
looking for. You are talking to a newbie here.

It is very important that you do not use a serial port. You need to be
using a parallel port, a serial port will not work under any circumstances
with this printer. The serial port IRQ does not matter as the serial port
is not used. You need a parallel port and a proper cable. What computer
model do you have? What operating system are you using? What is the
marking on the printer cable? What are the markings on the computer port
where the printer cable is attached?

BTW, you can check the printer functionality in standalone mode by turning
on the printer, then press and hold the power button while pressing the
formfeed button four times, then release the power button. This will print
a rudimentary nozzle pattern that can indicate the printer is working
properly. See
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...lang= en#N948

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging