Old December 16th 03, 06:53 AM
Rod Speed

John H wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote

The fool that 'designed' the 180GXP to do it
so noisily that the user wonders if its normal
should have been taken out the back and shot.

It would be the firmware that's doing it.

Duh.

An upgrade should be able to 'fix' the problem...someday.

They mostly dont bother with that sort of thing.

The 7K250 is only 2.6 bels for one disk (but I'm so
confused - the specs don't say if that's power or
pressure ) compared to your Samsung's 2.7 bels.

And even you should have been able to grasp that
that sort of measurement doesnt even register
those sorts of irritating but relatively rare noises.

It's faster too.

Bet you'd never be able to pick it in a proper double
blind trial without being allowed to use a benchmark.

You'd certainly be able to pick that terminal
stupidity with the deliberate head activity tho.

Might not be a bad drive to buy.

Dont care for Hitachi's warranty policys myself.

And when they've never had the balls to fess up to
what the problem was with the infamous GXP drives,
they can take their drives and shove them where
the sun dont shine as far as I am concerned.

I'll buy drives manufacturered by operations with a clue myself.

I've decided I don't want to buy another ATA drive.

The main problem currently is that there are few
native SATA drives buyable. Most are bridged drives.

Maybe by spring time I've be able to buy a BTX case and MB
and all SATA drives, including a writable SATA DVD/CD drive
(strange there aren't any SATA optical drives on the market yet).

Nothing strange about that.