Old December 15th 03, 08:54 PM
Folkert Rienstra

"Marc de Vries" wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 17:21:20 GMT, John H. wrote:

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 11:20:05 +0100, Marc de Vries wrote:

At the moment the 7K250 is easily the fastest 7200 rpm disk that you
can buy. It also very quiet. (Quite a large difference to my DiamonMax
Plus9 disks)

What kind of sound does it make when moving the heads to prevent heat
buildup? Anything like the 1-2 second sound every 10 minutes for the
180GXP?

Don't know. I haven't heard that sound on my disk yet. (Installed it
about two weeks ago)

You would have been very much aware of it the first day if the 7K250 was
making the same sound as the 180GXP. Like I said, for the 180GXP it's a
(very audible) 1 or 2 second sound every 10 minutes.

I know that 180GXP sound. (I also owned one of those)
It's a good thing I knew the 180GXP makes strange noise before I
bought one, or I would have been very worried when I first heard it
:-)

But my 7K250 hasn't make any noise like that.

Maybe it still moves the heads to prevent heat buildup,
but if so, it does it without making noise now.

Of course it does. And they always have been.

This is good to know. Maybe IBM/Hitachi drives are worth buying again.

The 7K250 is certainly my first choice at the moment.

Marc