Old October 27th 04, 09:54 PM
AFN

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote in message
AFN wrote:
I need to buy some drives for a company server, to be used in a RAID
configuration. I'm used to buying SCSI drives, because I love 1)
that they feel cool to the touch when running and 2) they have a high
"mean time between failure" number (MTBF). I just hate the price
of SCSI drives and this is for a small business.

Now, I see that SATA drives have a good MTBF number comparable to
SCSI. So I'm thinking of buying the Maxtor 9 or 10 series SATA
drives or the WD Raptors that spin at 10k. They all have MTBF
numbers like SCSI drives but can someone tell me how cool or hot they
are to the touch?

If an IDE (regular ATA) drive runs warm/hot, and a SCSI drive in the
same enclosure runs cool, where does SATA fall? Does anyone know
from experience touching these drives while they're running?

They might be the most reliable drives on the planet these days, but once
bitten...and these days I steer clear of Crapster - I've yet to see one

last
longer than four or five months. I have three WD Raptors in my system and
they are surprisingly cool - in fact I'd go as far as to say cold and
relatively quiet.
lose his marbles?

Thanks for the reply. Is there anything unusual about the Raptors in your
case that might have made them crash (like you live in humid Hawaii or a hot
desert without A/C)? Could you tell me how many Raptors you've had and how
many of those have had true mechanical (really not working) problems?