Old December 4th 03, 09:02 PM
Rod Speed

Phred wrote in message
David H. Lipman wrote
Tom Scales wrote
David H. Lipman wrote

Go RAID 5 and SCSI and you will not have the
artificial barriers of IDE hard disk controllers. Plus
you a very reliable and very fast disk sub-system.

That's ridiculous. A $900 computer and $1500 worth of disk.

Yep, mad.

250GB works fine in a 4550.

Except...

You are not taking into account; the importance of the data,
the reliability factor and the sheer speed that RAID 5 provides.

I can understand your enthusiasm for a RAID system that provides
data redundancy, but do you need to run a SCSI system to do this?

Nope. Tho RAID5 IDE aint that common.

I have the impression from comments elsewhere in recent
times that modern IDE drives are perfectly adequate and

Correct, and the I in RAID is for INEXPENSIVE.

SCSI is quite simply over-priced,

Correct.

perhaps even over-rated,

Correct.

in comparison these days?

Been that way for years now.

There are still a few advantages with SCSI if you really need
full hotswap RAID5, particularly rather more choice, but you
pay one hell of a price for that and very few actually need full
hotswap RAID5 with personal desktop systems anyway.