Old December 4th 03, 07:15 AM
Timothy Daniels

"Suzeann Loomis" wrote:

I have been told that I can only add another 120 gigabyte hard drive
to my Dell 4550. But people at a local computer shop say I can add a
250 gigabyte hard drive.

Which is true? I need more space for my photography.

You probably have Windows XP Home installed on your PC.
It probably came without Service Pack 1 installed. The largest hard
drive addresseable in WinXP without the Service Pack 1 is 137GB.
The normal HD size break is from 120GB to 160GB. Since your
PC's manufacturer doesn't want to support what he hasn't sold
(and therefore hasn't tested), its tech reps say the largest HD that
your PC will take is 120GB. To see if your PC has SP1, right click
on My Computer, left click Properties, and look at the General
panel. Under "System" it should say if Service Pack 1 is installed.
If it's not there, all you have to do is to download Service Pack 1
(SP1) for Windows XP from the Microsoft Windows Update website,
and you're set to go with HDs larger than 137GB. It might also not hurt
to be sure you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard, available
from Dell's website. Check your owner's manual to see how to find
out what version of the BIOS your PC currently has or call Dell's
Tech Support for instructions.

*TimDaniels*