Old February 27th 04, 12:14 AM
JLC

"Mary" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
As far as I know the drivers are supposed to be completely removed. AT
least I used the ATI software uninstall utility in Add/remove programs and
even the utility is not in add/remove programs any more. But maybe there

is
something else that is causing the problem. I just don't know what it is.

might have to end up reformatting my drive, and even then what if the
software doesn't work.
Thanks a lot for your help.

Mary

Mary, I'd forget all about that CD OK? You have the right drivers that you
DL'ed from ATI. When you finally get this figured out the install with not
ask for the CD. The CD should have worked. I have a Sapphire 9800Pro and the
CD I have say's Sapphire on it but when I load it it's a pure ATI install
CD. I didn't not use my CD I never do. I always DL'ed the latest drivers for
what ever it is I'm installing.
Tell you what, this is a long shot but try this. Do a word search in your
Windows dir for any files with ATI in them. This way you can find that inf
file I'm talking about. '98 is like this. I've had the same thing happen to
me so many times I lost count with other programs I've installed over the
years. Once a install goes bad. it's hell getting it fixed. Don't give up! I
know that you'll get this fixed and you won't have to do a format. Could be
that the disc is defective. Did you look at it? Its it dirty or scratched
up? Mary stick to the drivers you DL'ed OK? It's a safe bet that you'll get
them to work.
Also one last thing and forgive me if you have said you already did this,
but have you gone to Display Properties/Settings/Advanced/Adapter/and
changed your display
driver to Standard VGA ? then Reboot. This is the way a lot of people change
their drivers. I used to do it also, but with '2000 just removing them with
add/remove works fine. This is one way to make sure you don't have any old
files loaded. Also another idea is to try and install the drivers in safe
mode. I've never had to do this but that would work the same way. You might
what to try that. Also remember one important thing. Every time you try and
install the drivers and it fails you have to make sure and remove all the
files again. Hang in there! JLC