Old February 26th 04, 09:05 PM
Mary

"JLC" wrote in message
news:1%g%b.399477$I06.4362015@attbi_s01...
"Mary" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...
One important thing I left out was - on the pdf file on the install

CD, it
said at the top "Radeon 9800" so maybe the CD is for the wrong

drivers since
I have a 9000 Pro, but I thought maybe it used the same drivers.

Also, I
downloaded new drivers (Catalyst) from ATI site, but they don't seem

to work
either. I can't figure out what is wrong.

Mary

Mary I know it all seems so messed up right now. I've sure been there many
times before, but you can get this figured out. From what you told me I'm
right about what is going on. The reason the ATI install is asking for the
CD is because Windows is confused and the inf that is in your windows/inf
folder is telling the install to look for a CD. You do not need a CD to
install the drivers. I suggest you do a Goggle search for a program that
will remove all trace of the ATI drivers. I know there out there, just

like
the ones I used for my Nvidia card.

I went to Safe mode to Add/remove programs and was able to click on "ATI
uninstall utility" which said it took alll ATI software off my computer, but
I still have the same problems as yesterday. Software still won't install
from Cd or the one from ATI site.
Also, no lines for 9000 Radeon show up in Device Manager, though they did
yesterday, but the two lines said Radeon 9000 series. I just wondered,
shouldn't they say Radeon 9000 Pro? I hope they didn't give me a 9000SE.
Nothing on the card itself says what model the card is. Just a white sticker
on the back says its a 9000 Pro Radeon with 128 MB. Is there a utility to
tell you exactly what model video card you have installed? (assuming I ever
get it installed). I am back to my old video card again for now.

You have to start fresh. One little file
can cause you all this problem. I suggest that once you get the driver
remove program you boot in safe mode, that way you can be sure all traces
are removed. The ATI driver that you got from ATI will work on all Radeon
cards. So the guy at the shop did OK with what he gave you.

Even if its a Sapphire installation CD? I wonder if maybe a Sapphire CD
won't work with an ATI brand name card. On the install CD, when the ATI
installation screen comes up for Easy install/Express etc when you click on
"Online manual" it says this is the online manual for Radeon 9800. No
mention about other Radeon models. Its only on the CD itself, that there are
other pdf files for 9000, 9200 , 9600, and so on.
So do you mean that even though this same install CD which seems like its
for 9800, will also install the correct drivers for Radeon 9000 Pro, and
all Radeons from 7000 to 9800?
The drivers I downloaded from ATI site still ask for "ATI installation
disk". Maybe a Sapphire installation disk won't do.

I forgot what
card did you have before this??

I had an ATI Xpert 2000, but I uninstalled the drivers before, then when I
got my new motherboard - Asus 7V8X-X. The Xpert 2000 didnt fit in the AGP
slot, so thats why I got another video card. I had heard the 9000 Pro was a
good card, and it was quite a good price, because its OEM, but now I am not
so sure.
Its been nothing but frustration since yesterday afternoon trying to install
the drivers.

Did you make sure that you completely
removed those drivers? You'll get this working. Don't worry. I'm sure that
today, now that your rested you'll get it going in no time JLC

As far as I know the drivers are supposed to be completely removed. AT
least I used the ATI software uninstall utility in Add/remove programs and
even the utility is not in add/remove programs any more. But maybe there is
something else that is causing the problem. I just don't know what it is. I
might have to end up reformatting my drive, and even then what if the
software doesn't work.
Thanks a lot for your help.

Mary