Old April 22nd 04, 06:58 AM
Arno Wagner

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Robert Neville wrote:
My system continues to have data corruption issues with the large
drives. Initially, Windows XP gave me a "Windows - Write Delay Error"
on an external 200 GB hard drive. The hard drive in question is a
Seagate 200 GB 7200 rpm ATA in a Speeze enclosure 350ufl (firewire).
After running most software utilities (defrag, chkdisk, and
anti-virus) and re-partition some other drives, the error message went
away. I continued my research about the scenario and focused on using
my other two internal 200 GB Western Digital SATA drives.

[...]
These problems seem to be with Windows XP and badly written drivers.
Microsoft shoves blame on the component vendors. The component vendors
blame the software developers.

I had something like this with firewire under Linux. However I did not
get corruption, but multiple interface timouts and the kernel dropping
the disk because it said it was unusable.

I did not have any problems with the VIA-internal SATA do far.
Data-corruption due to bad bits is very unlikely with SATA.
Have you looked at the specific type of corruption? Is it wrong
bits, missing sectors, whole sectors that are wrong, short writes
or something else?

Arno