Old September 19th 04, 09:44 PM
Ron Reaugh

"Leythos" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
The Promise chip on the mobo is nothing more than a fancy ATA controller
chip with NO significant RAID functionality on it. All on mobo Promise

RAID
is firmware/software in x86 code hosted by the host's x86 CPU.

I would be interested in seeing where you get this information from. In
reviewing the Promise RAID 0/1 controller on the motherboard of the ASUS
PC-DL Deluxe board, I've only seen that the "driver" is a stub

Nope. No clue where you see this as there is full driver support there in
two different flavors. One RAID and one NOT.

that
allows the OS to recognise the controller (much like the SCSI RAID
Controllers that we use in HP or Compaq servers).

Any OS install requires a F6 driver load just like any other RAID card that
the OS doesn't already know about.

All my assertions are obvious once one thinks about it. Look at the specs
for a real HW RAID like a 3Ware and notice the onboard uP.

Look at the SATA card:
http://www.promise.com/product/produ...26&familyId=3#

Look at its nearly identical sibling RAID card:
http://www.promise.com/product/produ...07&familyId=2#

Both use the same Promise SATA controller. The only significant difference
is the onboard firmware chip, which contains x86 code. One has RAID
functionality and the other doesn't.

Such is well known.