Old January 13th 09, 09:18 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Default Solid State disk for a desktop system C drive?

Al Dykes wrote

Is there any reason why I shouldn't use a sold state disk
as a C drive on a high performance desktop system?

Depends on the technology and the OS.

Win and Vista both use it pretty intensively for temporary files and
some solid state disk technologys dont have that may write cycles.

36GB would make a fine C drive for my work.

Newegg has 36GB solid state disks starting at 70 bucks.
They feature screaming read rates. The write rates are
a little slower but still faster than a 7200RPM hard disk.

Latency should be zero but I know that something has
to happen in the write cycle for a SSD and the summary
specs don't list delay times which would be a form of latency.

I do Photoshop. I'm thinking of using the SSD for a second
disk and dedicating it to swap, temp, and PS work files.
That way, if it dies, I haven't lost any work.

comments?

It may not last very long given the limitations on the writes.