Old July 5th 03, 06:53 PM
Gaz

Default Currys faulty TV

"Andy Jeffries" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 15:56:44 +0100, Osprey wrote:
Could someone please confirm if there was not a change in UK Consumer

goods
act recently and ALL products now have a TWO year guarantee as standard

like
rest of europe?

I am sure I heard this on radio 5 live and that shops/manufacturers are
keeping quiet about it so it doesnt damage there extended warranty

policys
they are so keen on selling.

Not back dated I would have thought!

AFAIK it is indeed "back dated". That is, it has amended a previous law

so
that in effect the previous law is taken to have always read this way.

That's my understanding of it anyway (from a previous discussion in
uk.legal that I can't find on groups.google.com now!).

Civilised societies (ie. largely English speaking, or European) tend not to
have 'retrospective' legislation, except for the most extreme of cases. How
can one be bound by a law/rule that did not exist?

Gaz

Cheers,

Andy