Old July 10th 04, 07:19 PM
JustDave

"boe" wrote in message
news:bX4Hc.27514$JR4.16811@attbi_s54...
Remove the card, [pwer up - disable the sound in the bios - go into
windows - remove the drivers for the card. Then power down - put the

card
in a different slot - power up - install drivers.
"JustDave" wrote in message
m...

"boe" wrote in message
newsBIGc.3192$WX.2223@attbi_s51...
You mention disabling the sound - are you doing it in the bios?

"JustDave" wrote in message
.. .
This morning I turned off the motherboard audio, removed the

drivers,
and
installed an Audigy Gamer in my 3 GHz Intel D865PERL based computer.

It
works great and sounds much better and quieter than the Intel

motherboard
audio.

Trouble is, it also kills my network connection. When I try an

ipconfig
/renew, I get the message "An operation was attempted on something

that
is
not a socket". If I pull the card and roll Windows XP Pro back to
yesterday
everything is OK again. As soon as I stick the card back in, Windows
installs a driver (or something!), which causes the problem to

reappear.
There's no hardware conflict (network is dead with drivers and no

card) -
just some software problem. I've looked in the MS Knowledgebase and
searched
Google, but none of the solutions there worked for me.I've been

going
around
and around with this since noon and need a clue. Any ideas will be

much
appreciated.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

No luck yet. Diabling Hyperthreading - no help. Letting both sets of

drivers
load - no help. Leaving both sound cards in ( onboard enabled or

disabled
in
BIOS) or out, no difference. If the latest version drivers downloaded

from
Creative are loaded, the network doesn't run - audio hardware or none.

Tried
different versions of the network driver. MB BIOS is up to date (had the
problem with an earlier version, too). Losing mind quickly...

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've tried every open slot, I've tried a
different network card and driver, I've tried everything everybody has
suggested.

Anybody know anything about the Turtle Beach Catalina? Only $57.99 on eBay,
and it's beginning to look mighty good...