Old November 9th 03, 03:37 PM
George Macdonald

On 7 Nov 2003 08:34:29 -0800, (Kiran Math) wrote:

Computer P4 2.0
O/S: Windows XP Pro.
RAM : 256 MB
Mother board : ECS P4

The computer works fine for say 4 hours. Then the whole thing freezes.
Then when I do a cold boot. It hangs when runing the BIOS ( during the
intial phase of finding the harddisk etc).
If I shut down the computer for 20 mins or so it works fine past the
BIOS running stage, but hangs after the XP comes up.
If I keep the computer shut down for a day or so, it works fine again
for next 3-4 hrs and then the problem starts again.

I have changed the Hard drive, BIOS battery etc but the problem still
continues.

The computer is still a fresh install.

What might be the problem. Is it the faulty processor?

To the heat problem mentioned by others I'd add flakey power connectors,
especially to the CD/DVD-ROMs or HDD. In particular I've seen bad
connectors on Y-splitters, including pass-through connectors from fans with
large 4-pin connections, which can cause intermittent failure with hangs or
long pauses. What happens is the sleeve of the (cheap) connector "pin"
goes conical and its contact varies with temperature.

Rgds, George Macdonald