View Single Post
Old January 16th 20, 11:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default How to fix ?: Booting Windows 7 x64 from usb: STOP 0x0000007B

I am now very close to booting Windows 7 x64 from USB stick.

I use qemu-img and win32diskwriter to convert vmdk to img and then write it to usb stick.

I also used testdisk tool to discover what is on usb stick to make sure I don't overwrite the wrong one.

More about these tools and their links later.

However now I am facing a problem with this blue-screening of windows.

From what I can gather from google and such is that this error is caused by the following reason:

1. Windows boots from USB device initially.

2. Then it tries to load the kernel, the kernel unloads/rescans for usb devices.

3. Somehow this looses a connection with usb or somehow it can't load usb driver

and it blue screens.

Also somehow tools like rufus and wintousb fix this stop error ?!

I need to know how they fix this error so I can also write IMG files to usb sticks and run windows like that instead of performing installs to usb sticks, which probably also doesn't work for same reason or limitations in windows installer, windows does not install to usb stick under normal circumstances, plus updating safely in vmware or so or other vm operations is nice.

So now I need a way to fix this error stop 0x0000007b which also means no access to boot device or something.

I suspect I have to add some kind of usb driver to windows or maybe even the integrated windows iso I made, however re-installing windows would be a chore... so I need an option/fix to fix an existing windows 7 installation.

Also windows update for windows 7 might not be available for much longer, not sure when microsoft will seize support, officially it should have already ended, but maybe they going to make it a bit longer cause they just found a big NSA informed vunerability in crypt32.dll or something.

Kinda funny on the day they stop supporting windows 7 ?!

Was this perhaps a little hint from NSA that they want microsoft to continue supporting windows 7 for a little while longer ? Hmmm.

Meanwhile I am going to search google for a solution, cause this issue is all over the internet apperently, so I am hopefully of finding a fix... don't hestitate to post a fix though =D

Bye for now,
Skybuck.

P.S.: Having a portable windows 7 x64 would be quite cool and handy from time to time ! =D This is somewhat I definetly want in case a computer ****s up somehow.