Old January 30th 06, 09:41 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer

Default Imminent Hard Drive failure on an ACER Aspire 3000?

"Good Man" wrote in message
"Jason Ducharme" wrote in
:

Hi,

I bought this notebook brand new 6 months ago. It's an ACER Aspire
3003WLCi. Recently I've had a lot of problems with applications "not
responding" and having to be closed. Upon reboot recently i'm
getting the message that one of my hard disks needs to be checked for
conisistency. It does a checkup of the disk (takes a long time) and
then it reports that "Windows replaced bad clusters in file .... "
Does this mean that my hard drive is failing (has failed?) and needs
to be rebuilt/replaced? Should I contact ACER about this problem (I
think I have 1 year warranty on the machine.)

hard-drive failures are usually accompanied by noise/sounds of some sort.
the reason you are getting the 'must be checked for consistency' and 'bad
clusters' messages is because your computer is (presumably) not going
through the proper shut-down process (i'm guessing you just power it off
when things stop responding).

programs not responding etc. are more of a software problem than anything
else. are you sure you don't have any spyware? viruses? what did you
install before this started happening?

Well, I'm not getting any clicking or other noises.

I never just power off the computer. I always fight with it to close the
unresposive applications and shut down using the regular method
(start/shutdown/restart.)

I don't recall this happening immediately after doing any changes or
installations on the system, but at around the same time, I have added an
Epson C45 inkjet printer and installed the software and drivers, as well as
installing MS Visual Studio .NET. Again, i don't recall the problems
occurring immediately after either of those events, but it seems to have all
started happening at around the same time (memory is a bit fuzzy.)