Old November 6th 03, 06:33 PM

Based on the error codes you describe there might be several reasons. The
first might be a weak or faltering power supply. You did not mention which
operating system you have so try a "repair" installation of your operating
system. Should that fail then the next thing to do is a clean install of the
operating system. I know that's a pain but it should fix the problem. If
after a clean install you still have the problem then it could be a
defective card.

regards

"CW" wrote in message
I have just installed the following graphics card GeForce4 FX5200 128MB

AGP
W/ TV Out + DVI and I now find that I am unable to run any games or play
DVD movies on my system.
I get various messages but basically "Unable to create Direct3D device"

and
"Unable to initialize Direct3D" are general.
When I test Direct3d in DirectX9 I get the following messages.
D3D7 Test Result: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT =
0x80004005 (Generic failure)
D3D8 Test Result: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT =
0x8876086c (error code)
D3D9 Test Result: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT =
0x8876086c (error code).
I am now at my wits end my old cheap 16mb PCI card played DVD and ran all
games, although bigger ones such as GTA Vice City never ran properly.
I have tried uninstalling re-installing, installing the latest drivers and
even something I read regarding "NetMeeting" none of which worked.
Pleas help someone.
CW

--
Outgoing e-mail certified virus free by:-
Norton Anti-Virus software(2003)