Old December 23rd 03, 05:59 AM
jamotto

"GeoffC" wrote in message ...
** System info printed below.

I am planning to upgrade my graphics card to a GF5900 which is AGP 8. My
motherboard is only AGP 4, so will this work and the AGP 8 card will step
down, or are they incompatible?

The second question concerns memory. I would like to add 512MB to the
current system and as can be seen by the output below the current memory is
PC2100 (133 MHz). Having had a very quick look, it appears that the 266mhz
is more common. Can the 266mhz chips be mixed with 133mhz. Will this
create an unstable system. If so is it actually easy to get hold of the
133mhz chips anyway

I want to run two monitors and I'm curious how these cards support that. Do
they have a standard SVGA analogue type connector as well as a DVI. If yes
can the DVI port also drive an analogue monitor, and if so does this require
a conversion cable.

Thanks

Geoff

1.)Yes, you may use the AGP 8X card it will only run at 4X though.
Make sure you have an extra 12V power plug from your powersupply as
you need to use it to power the video card.

2.)266MHz is PC2100. Same as is in your computer now.
100MHz=DDR200=PC1600
133MHz=DDR266=PC2100
166MHz=DDR333=PC2700
200MHz=DDR400=PC3200
Anyhow if you where to mix PC2700 and PC2100 then the memory would
operate at the slower PC2100 speed and may or may not cause some
unstable operation.

3.)The cards have the standard VGA analog connectors and a DVI
analog/digital
connector. This allows two analog devices to be connected to the
graphics card. As far as how two LCD digital monitors would be hooked
up I'm not sure I have not tried to install two LCD's

good luck with the upgrade.