Old May 4th 08, 02:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
~misfit~[_3_]

Default RMA-ing Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6

Somewhere on teh intarweb "John Whitworth" typed:
Had enough...this board is going back. After lots of grief, I've
determined that it's suffering from the 4 sticks of RAM issue. It was
an expensive board, so I expect much better. I don't want to have to
do loads of tweaking just to get it to work on spec!

I made a complete balls-up with my choice of this board...any other
recommendations for a board with the following config?

- FSB 1333MHz to support Q9450
- DDR2 support for PC2-8500 RAM
- needs 1 IDE slot for DVD drives.

Asus P5K-E. Or anything in that range above it (i.e. P5K Premium...) The P35
NB has proved to be a reliable chip. Coupled with the ICH9R you have what's
pretty much the best combo at a good price.

I've built a few machines around these boards now using quad and dual core
CPUs and am very impressed at features, stability and overclockability. I
personally have a P5K-E WiFi/AP that currently has an E4500 @ 3.3GHz in it,
(413MHz [1653] FSB) just waiting for the 45nm parts to come down in price.

I still haven't decided whether to go dual or quad. It seems that, for most
things, dual is more overclockable, meaning faster, more snappy response in
Windows. The only reason I'm intending to upgrade my E4500 at some stage is
for more L2 and more speed (although it doesn't break a sweat with anything
I throw at it at the moment).

Good luck with whatever you decide.
--
Shaun.