Old May 25th 18, 04:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Default Intel onboard GPU conflicting with CPU power

On Sat, 26 May 2018 07:11:44 +0100, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

On 5/25/2018 5:48 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
Is it true that if you max out the GPU part of an Intel processor at the
same time as all the normal cores, it can't do them all at once? I run
Boinc which can do calculations on both at once. And if I use all the
CPU cores, the GPU part goes about a 5th of the speed. I guess the only
other place this could happen is a game that multithreads on all the
cores and also uses the graphics.

Are you using a standalone GPU? If not, the CPU will be used to do
on-board/in-chip graphics.

On two of the machines, yes I have a standalone GPU. Two don't. And one has no GPU whatsoever (no monitor just a server).

I know the CPU is used to do graphics, but I'm interested in why it refuses to do that and all the main cores at once without one of the tasks slowing down. It's not overheating.

--
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.