Old October 19th 17, 12:08 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

Default Power Supply Failure?

Steve wrote in news
On 18/10/2017 19:29, Boris wrote:
Hi,

Machine is a Dell Inspiron 530 desktop, circa 2012, running VistaHP
x86, belonging to my 93 year-old mother-in-law. She called me to day
and said "It's broken".

The power button does nothing. When I hold in the power button,
there's no sound whatsoever. The fan in the back of the power supply
does not spin, but the little green light on the back of the power
supply does glow green, When unplugged, the light goes out. Other
than that, nothing makes a sound, and nothing else occurs.

Here's the power supply:

https://postimg.org/image/4hdxxqbwkr/

Sound like a PS issue?

TIA

I doubt if it's a PS failure, if there's a green light on the back. It
could be a single faulty component which is preventing a power up, or
it could be a faulty motherboard.

If you have the time, I would recommend you try removing one component
at a time from the PC and then try powering on. E.g. unplug the
CD-ROM's power and data cables, see if it powers up. If it doesn't,
replace the cables and remove the hard disk cables and see if it
powers up then. Just remove one thing at a time and if it still
doesn't power up after you tried removing each one in turn, then
remove everything from the PC, all components, PCI cards, until
there's just the power connector and the front panel switch plugged
into the motherboard. If there's still nothing then, you probably need
a new motherboard. You could get one from eBay.

Steve

Hmmm...had no idea it could be other components if the power supply fan
wouldn't go on. However, motherboard was my second guess.

I'll try your suggestion.

Thanks much.